[ISN] Pentagon spends over $100 million on cyberattack cleanup

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 01:00:37 -0500 (CDT)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10214416-83.html

By Elinor Mills
Security
CNet News
April 7, 2009

The Pentagon spent more than $100 million in the past six months
cleaning up after Internet attacks and network issues, military leaders
said on Tuesday.

"The important thing is that we recognize that we are under assault from
the least sophisticated--what I would say the bored teenager--all the
way up to the sophisticated nation-state, with some petty criminal
elements sandwiched in between," Air Force Gen. Kevin Chilton, head of
U.S. Strategic Command, told reporters at a cyberspace conference in
Omaha, Neb., as reported by CBS News.

Neither he nor Army Brigadier Gen. John Davis, deputy commander for
network operations, would say how much of the estimated $100 million was
spent cleaning up from viruses compared with outside attacks and
inadvertent security problems due to U.S. Department of Defense
employees. However, they did say that spending money to shore up the
networks to prevent attacks and breaches would be better than paying to
clean up after an incident.

The Defense Department was forced to take up to 1,500 computers offline
last year because of a cyberattack, and it banned the use of external
removable storage devices because of their ability to spread viruses.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/