[ISN] Electrical grid's operator tries to stay ahead of hackers

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 06:08:02 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/6365514.html

By TOM FOWLER
Houston Chronicle
April 8, 2009

Texas’ electric grid operator constantly upgrades its computer security
to protect against intrusion by hackers, its chairman said Wednesday
following published reports that foreign “spies” have probed the
nation’s power grid for vulnerabilities.

“We are constantly modifying and upgrading our protections as technology
advances, business requirements change and new threats emerge,” said Bob
Kahn, CEO of the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which operates
the power grid that carries about 85 percent of the state’s electricity.

The Wall Street Journal reported in Wednesday’s edition that in a number
of incidents in recent years, it appears operators in China, Russia and
other nations have tried to map out the U.S. power grid and hide
software in systems where it might be used in the future. The story
cited unnamed U.S. intelligence officials.

Officials from those nations denied involvement.

The notion of cyber attacks on government operations or public
infrastructure is nothing new, said Christian Espinosa, director of
research and development for EADS NA Defense Security & Systems
Solutions, a San Antonio-based firm.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/