[ISN] Pink-slipped BOFH admits to threatening ex-employer's network

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 01:12:23 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/27/bofh_cops_plea/

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco
The Register
27th April 2009

A system administrator has admitted he threatened to cause extensive
damage to his former employer's computer system after he was laid off.

Viktor Savtyrev, 29, of Old Bridge, New Jersey, worked as a sys admin
for five years at an unnamed mutual fund company located in New York
City that managed more than $15bn, according to court documents. A day
after he and 13 other employees were laid off, he sent the firm's
general counsel an email that threatened to unleash devastating attacks
on the network unless his demands were met for additional severance pay
and health insurance.

"My comrades for a small fee are able to help me out with bridging
firewall security and carry out data destruction and virus outbreak," he
wrote in the email dated November 6. "And lucky me to find out that [the
company's firewall] is the cheapest firewall to crack!"

He went on to threaten a barrage of nasty press if the manager's didn't
comply.

[...]

--
LayerOne 2009, Information Security for the discerning professional.
May 23-24 2009 @ The Anaheim Marriott in Anaheim, California