[ISN] Hackers strike UC Berkeley computer systems

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 01:15:28 -0500 (CDT)
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6803387

By Heather Ishimaru
abc7news.com
May 08, 2009

BERKELEY, CA (KGO) -- The University of California, Berkeley is
notifying 160,000 people they could be victims of identity theft.
International hackers have broken into some UC Berkeley computer
servers, taking names and social security numbers.

Routine maintenance of UC Berkeley's health services center computers in
April revealed a break-in. Hackers had come in through an open, public
part of the system and then broke into a database with names and Social
Security numbers.

"We have 97,000 Social Security numbers on the records, but there are
160,000 names in the system, so we're notifying everyone of the breach,"
Associate Vice Chancellor for Information Technology Shelton Waggener
said.

Waggener says e-mails and letters went out Friday.

[...]

--
LayerOne 2009, Information Security for the discerning professional.
May 23-24 2009 @ The Anaheim Marriott in Anaheim, California