[ISN] Chu: IT security a drag on Energy's mission

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 00:27:40 -0500 (CDT)
http://fcw.com/articles/2009/05/11/chu-it-security-a-drag.aspx

By Matthew Weigelt
FCW.com
May 11, 2009

Energy secretary wants to balance information security, mission

Energy Secretary Steven Chu has said the Energy Department needs to
consider whether its information security systems are worth the drag on
its mission.

“We’re going to be looking at information technologies," Chu said at
press briefing May 7 about the department's fiscal 2010 budget proposal.
"Do we have the right balance between keeping our IT secure from viruses
to how it compromises productivity?”

In an April 29 speech at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in
Golden, Colo., Chu said “well-meaning people” in the chief information
officer’s office and in the procurement and finance offices “whose job
it is to protect the Department of Energy” actually hinder what the
department can do.

“They forgot the Department of Energy has a job, and it’s not to protect
the Department of Energy. It’s to get something done,” he said. Terrible
accidents and financial waste are bad things, he said, but added, “It
has to be balanced against the mission of the department and so this is
something that I feel very strongly about.”

[...]

--
LayerOne 2009, Information Security for the discerning professional.
May 23-24 2009 @ The Anaheim Marriott in Anaheim, California