[ISN] General: We Just Might Nuke Those Cyber Attackers

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 00:16:59 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/05/general-we-just-might-nuke-those-cyber-attackers/

By Nathan Hodge
Danger Room
Wired.com
May 13, 2009

How would the American military respond to an attack on its networks? If
we take the commander of U.S. strategic forces at his word, they’d nuke
those hackers, if need be.

Speaking to reporters at a press breakfast last week, Gen. Kevin
Chilton, the head of U.S. Strategic Command, said the president retained
the option to retaliate with military force in the event of a serious
cyber attack against U.S. networks. Global Security Newswire’s Elaine
Grossman has the key quote:

“I think you don’t take any response options off the table from an
attack on the United States of America,” Chilton said. “Why would we
constrain ourselves on how we respond?”

“I think that’s been our policy on any attack on the United States of
America,” the general added. “And I don’t see any reason to treat cyber
any differently. I mean, why would we tie the president’s hands? I
can’t. It’s up to the president to decide.”

[...]

--
LayerOne 2009, Information Security for the discerning professional.
May 23-24 2009 @ The Anaheim Marriott in Anaheim, California