[ISN] T-Mobile investigates possible security breach

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 04:04:32 -0500 (CDT)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10259487-83.html

By Marguerite Reardon
Security
CNet News
June 8, 2009

T-Mobile USA is looking into claims that a hacker has broken into its
data bases and stolen customer and company information.

Someone anonymously posted the claims on the security mailing list Full
Disclosure on Saturday. In that post, the hacker claims to have gotten
access to "everything, their databases, confidential documents, scripts
and programs from their servers, financial documents up to 2009."

The poster said he had offered the information to T-Mobile competitors,
but they supposedly didn't show any interest. Now he says he is offering
the information to the highest bidder.

T-Mobile issued a statement that the company is looking into the matter.

"The protection of our customers' information, and the safety and
security of our systems, is absolutely paramount at T-Mobile," the
company said. "Regarding the recent claim, we are fully investigating
the matter. As is our standard practice, if there is any evidence that
customer information has been compromised, we would inform those
affected as soon as possible."

Some security experts were skeptical of the claims.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News security bookstore!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org