[ISN] T-Mobile Confirms Stolen Data is Genuine

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 04:38:43 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.cio.com/article/494553/T_Mobile_Confirms_Stolen_Data_is_Genuine

By Jeremy Kirk
June 09, 2009
IDG News Service

T-Mobile confirmed on Tuesday that internal information posted on the
Internet by hackers was stolen from its systems, but said it does not
appear customer data is in jeopardy.

Hackers posted a message on Saturday on the Full Disclosure
vulnerability message board claiming they'd pilfered confidential
documents as well as financial and database information from T-Mobile's
servers. After trying to sell the data to T-Mobile's competitors, they
wrote they were offering the information to the highest bidder.

However, T-Mobile disputes the value of the data. "Regarding the recent
claim on a Web site, we've identified the document from which
information was copied and believe possession of this alone is not
enough to cause harm to our customers," the company said.

T-Mobile said further information could not be released due to the
ongoing investigation. The company will contact customers if it becomes
evident personal information was compromised, it said.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News security bookstore!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org