[ISN] U.S. takes aim at cyberwarfare

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 04:21:00 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jul/02/us-takes-aim-at-cyberwarfare/

By Shaun Waterman
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
July 2, 2009

The Pentagon's decision last week to establish a unified cybercommand to
defend the military's computer networks and attack those of U.S. enemies
raises at least as many questions as it answers, analysts and experts in
the field say.

"How does it fit into the strategic goals of defending our economy and
our way of life?" asked Marcus Sachs, who helped set up the U.S.
military's first cyberwarfare unit in 1998.

"How will it relate to other government agencies?" asked Mr. Sachs, who
is now director of the Internet Storm Center, a volunteer warning and
analysis service that works with Internet service providers to counter
such threats as computer viruses.

In a memo to military leaders last week, Defense Secretary Robert M.
Gates ordered U.S. Strategic Command -- the military entity in charge of
U.S. nuclear and space weapons -- to set up the new cybercommand by
October this year and to have it fully functioning by October 2010.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, July 25-30 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Network with 4,000+ delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com