[ISN] Former Teen Hacker’s Suicide Linked to TJX Probe

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:14:06 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/07/hacker/

By Kevin Poulsen
Threat Level
Wired.com
July 9, 2009

A Miami man who achieved fame as a teenager for hacking NASA and the
Pentagon took his own life last year after Secret Service agents accused
him of being part of the conspiracy responsible for the largest identity
theft in U.S. history, his family says.

Jonathan James, 24, was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in
his home on May 18, 2008, less than two weeks after agents raided his
house in connection with a hacking ring that penetrated TJX, DSW and
OfficeMax, among others. In a five page suicide note, James wrote that
he was innocent, but was certain federal officials would make him a
scapegoat.

“I have no faith in the ‘justice’ system,” he wrote. ” Perhaps my
actions today, and this letter, will send a stronger message to the
public. Either way, I have lost control over this situation, and this is
my only way to regain control.”

The note was provided to Wired.com this week by James’ father, Robert,
who kept the details of his son’s death quiet for over a year because of
the ongoing prosecutions over the retail hacks.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, July 25-30 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Network with 4,000+ delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com