[ISN] So-called cyberattack was overblown

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 01:08:18 -0500 (CDT)
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/07/10/schneier/

By Bruce Schneier
Minnesota Public Radio
July 13, 2009

To hear the media tell it, the United States suffered a major
cyberattack last week. Stories were everywhere. "Cyber Blitz hits U.S.,
Korea" was the headline in Thursday's Wall Street Journal. North Korea
was blamed.

Where were you when North Korea attacked America? Did you feel the fury
of North Korea's armies? Were you fearful for your country? Or did your
resolve strengthen, knowing that we would defend our homeland bravely
and valiantly?

My guess is that you didn't even notice, that - if you didn't open a
newspaper or read a news website - you had no idea anything was
happening. Sure, a few government websites were knocked out, but that's
not alarming or even uncommon. Other government websites were attacked
but defended themselves, the sort of thing that happens all the time. If
this is what an international cyberattack looks like, it hardly seems
worth worrying about at all.

Politically motivated cyber attacks are nothing new. We've seen U.K. vs.
Ireland. Israel vs. the Arab states. Russia vs. several former Soviet
Republics. India vs. Pakistan, especially after the nuclear bomb tests
in 1998. China vs. the United States, especially in 2001 when a U.S. spy
plane collided with a Chinese fighter jet. And so on and so on.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, July 25-30 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Network with 4,000+ delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com