[ISN] US State Dept. workers beg Clinton for Firefox

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 03:39:53 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/13/firefox_and_us_state_department/

By Cade Metz
The Register
13th July 2009

US State Department workers have begged Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton to let them use Firefox.

"Can you please let the staff use an alternative web browser called
Firefox?" worker bee Jim Finkle asked Clinton during Friday's State
Department town hall meeting.

"I just moved to the State Department from the National Geospatial
Intelligence Agency and was surprised that State doesn’t use this
browser. It was approved for the entire intelligence community, so I
don’t understand why State can’t use it. It’s a much safer program."

Presumably, the State Department is using Microsoft's Internet Explorer.
And we wouldn't be surprised if it's still mired in the eight-year-old
IE6. The only thing that moves slower than Orange is a US government
agency. But the State Department has yet to respond to our questions
about its Firefox-less browsing mandate.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, July 25-30 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Network with 4,000+ delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com