[ISN] Security firms enjoy boom after Web attacks

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 03:41:42 -0500 (CDT)
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2907539

By Cho Jae-eun
JoongAng Daily
July 17, 2009

Local online security companies are enjoying a rise in sales after
continuous distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks last week
boosted demand need for protection on the Internet.

Companies here that sell software to protect against DDoS attacks
include Nowcom, Cisco Korea, Arbor Networks and Radware Korea. Nowcom
said it sold around 30 units of its DDOS defense system “Sniper DDX” for
about 200 million won ($157,729) in sales from July 7 to 10. The Korean
company launched the system in April 2008 to compete in a field
dominated by foreign-owned firms.

Sniper DDX blocks attacks by detecting malicious high-volume traffic and
then shielding computer systems. Before July 7, Nowcom had sold just 60
units of the software in over a year since its launch.

“We had to supply our anti-DDOS systems fast, even without proper
contracts this time, because the orders just flooded in,” said an
official at Nowcom. “After these attacks, DDoS blocking programs will
see a rise in popularity.”

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, July 25-30 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Network with 4,000+ delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com