[ISN] Microsoft Unveils Security Tools, Resources At Black Hat

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 02:31:17 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/vulnerabilities/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218600627

By Thomas Claburn
InformationWeek
July 27, 2009

At the Black Hat conference in Las Vegas this week, Microsoft (NSDQ:
MSFT) plans to provide a progress report on the security initiatives
that it launched last summer and to release new security tools and
information to support security efforts by its customers and partners.

"There's a race between attackers and defenders and if we want to win,
we have to share information," said Mike Reavey, director of the
Microsoft Security Response Center.

To help realize that goal, Microsoft plans to release the Microsoft
Office Visualization Tool, which provides a graphic visualization of the
Office binary file format. The software is intended to help IT
professionals and security researchers better understand attacks
targeting Office files.

The reason for this is that most malware attacks application
vulnerabilities rather than operating system vulnerabilities. In the
second half of 2008, said Reavey, almost 90% of the vulnerabilities were
in the application stack rather than the operating system.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, July 25-30 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Network with 4,000+ delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com