[ISN] Twitter, Facebook attack targeted one user

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 03:25:50 -0500 (CDT)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10305200-245.html

By Elinor Mills
InSecurity Complex
CNet News
August 6, 2009

A Georgian blogger with accounts on Twitter, Facebook, LiveJournal and
Google's Blogger and YouTube was targeted in a denial of service attack
that led to the site-wide outage at Twitter and problems at the other
sites on Thursday, according to a Facebook executive.

The blogger, who uses the account name "Cyxymu," (the name of a town in
the Republic of Georgia) had accounts on all of the different sites that
were attacked at the same time, Max Kelly, chief security officer at
Facebook, told CNET News.

"It was a simultaneous attack across a number of properties targeting
him to keep his voice from being heard," Kelly said. "We're actively
investigating the source of the attacks and we hope to be able to find
out the individuals involved in the back end and to take action against
them if we can."

Kelly declined to speculate on who was behind the attack, but said: "You
have to ask who would benefit the most from doing this and think about
what those people are doing and the disregard for the rest of the users
and the Internet."

[...]

Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org