[ISN] UC Berkeley School of Journalism Server Hacked

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 04:09:50 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.dailycal.org/article/106235/uc_berkeley_school_of_journalism_server_hacked

By  Angelica Dongallo
Contributing Writer
The Daily Californian
August 10, 2009

Almost 500 applicants to the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
were notified today that their Social Security numbers and other private
data may have been compromised in a recent campus security breach.

Computer security experts discovered in July that a hacker broke into a
private segment of the journalism school's primary public web server and
potentially accessed sensitive information of 493 people who applied to
the school between September 2007 and May 2009.

However, while campus information technology officials confirmed that a
breach had occurred, they said there was no indication that the
information had been stolen or misused.

"In an abundance of caution, we're going to be notifying those people
that the potential exists that some of their information was exposed,"
said Shelton Waggener, the campus's associate vice chancellor for
information technology and chief information officer. "We could not find
any indication that that had actually occurred."

International students and applicants who did not provide their Social
Security numbers on their application are not affected by the breach.

[...]

Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org