[ISN] Reporting terrorism, affect your credit? (we're doomed)

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 04:12:12 -0500 (CDT)
Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho (at) attrition.org>

http://attrition.org/security/rant/fbi01.html

Reporting terrorism, affect your credit? (we're doomed)
Tue Aug 11 05:49:16 EDT 2009
security curmudgeon

Right as I am about to wind down for the night, ISN rolls in, filling
the inbox of most people before they wake. One of the last articles
caught my attention and I read the first few paragraphs. Sandia to boot
behemoth botnet

This article (full GCN article) was disturbing to say the least. A
couple of academia researchers, cut-off from the real world, out of
touch with reality and how the 'world' works, decide they need to
control a bot net. Not a 10k node botnet, not a 100k node botnet.. but a
1 million node notnet. In case you haven't read lately, the threat of a
botnet is serious. Some men are charged in botnet related crimes, and
the threat of a million-pc botnet is a threat to consumers. (Still don't
believe? Google 'botnet threat').

[..]

Uh, really? "Terms and conditions"? I actually have to agree to all of
this about "notification to my credit card company" and any complaint is
"initiated at the discretion of the law enforcement and/or regulatory
agency receiving the complaint information"? In short, there is a
"click-wrap" license invoked on reporting a threat to national security
that may relate to my credit, and that law enforcement MAY initiate an
investigation. If I call 911, they initiate an investigation even if
it's a hangup. Yet telling the FBI about a threat to national security
MAY initiate an investiation?

[..]

Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org