[ISN] Phone Hacking Threat Is Low, but it Exists

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 00:14:59 -0500 (CDT)
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/14/phone-hacking-threat-is-low-but-it-exists/

By Roy Furchgott
Gadget Wise
The New York Times
August 14, 2009

While the threat of bad guys hacking into your phone may remain minimal,
it isn't non-existent. In fact, one security expert created an attack on
the iPhone - sending a virus by text message - that is basically
unstoppable.

The question is what are you going to do about it? There is a trade off
to be made. Features that give phones their utility, like Bluetooth and
Wi-Fi, also make them vulnerable to attack.

I spoke to some security experts about relative risks to help phone
owners decide which steps were worth taking to protect their phones.

The first thing to keep in mind is that smartphones are really tiny
computers. "As the phone becomes more and more like a desktop, they have
the same issues," Johannes Ullrich, chief technology officer for the
Internet Storm Center, which tracks Internet threats.

In fact, security experts are experiencing a certain sense of deja vu.
"We are about at the point with phones that we were with desktops in the
"80s," said Michael Gregg, president of Superior Solutions, a computer
security company" Viruses were just emerging, and there was little
public awareness, he said.

Here are the risks to consider, and steps you might take.

[...]

Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org