[ISN] Q&A: DHS Cybersecurity Chiefs Speak Out

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 04:01:52 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=219500331

By J. Nicholas Hoover
InformationWeek
August 27, 2009

As the federal government continues to try to figure out ways to
effectively manage cybersecurity, the Department of Homeland Security is
gaining prominence as one of several major players in protecting
government computer networks from attack.

At the center of the DHS' effort are the agency's cybersecurity top
official, deputy undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security
for the National Protection and Programs Directorate and director of the
National Cyber Security Center Phil Reitinger, and Greg Schaffer,
assistant secretary of DHS' Office of Cybersecurity and Communications.
InformationWeek recently spoke with them.

InformationWeek: I wanted to start by talking about your role, your
goals and some of the things that are going on there right now.

Reitinger: Cybersecurity always has been and always will be a
distributed effort. If people want to say, well, there's a single locus
of cybersecurity and anything and everything will be handled from one
point, I say, dream on. We want to build cybersecurity into the DNA of
the infrastructure, into the DNA of the businesses, into the DNA of all
the government entities.

[...]

Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org