[ISN] Experts: Hackers might view summit as 'a chance to make a statement'

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 02:14:42 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_641856.html

By Mike Cronin
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
September 6, 2009

Duquesne Light and Alcosan, two of Western Pennsylvania's largest
utilities, are working to ensure a potential attack to their computer
systems during the G-20 wouldn't disrupt service to tens of thousands of
people.

And independent auditors are running tests to make sure that
Westinghouse Electric Co., which builds nuclear power plants, is
"equipped to endure any type of sustained (cyber) attack," said Vaughn
Gilbert, a spokesman for the Cranberry company. "We are taking the steps
we need to make sure we're not vulnerable."

Representatives for Duquesne Light, the Downtown-based electric company,
and the Allegheny County Sanitary Authority, on the North Side, which
provides wastewater treatment services to 83 communities including
Pittsburgh, are re-examining their protocols in all areas, including
cybersecurity, in advance of the Group of 20 economic summit Sept.
24-25.

"What we have is pretty important, so we're taking it very seriously,"
Duquesne Light spokesman Joseph Vallarian said. "We've looked at
everything and have done what we need to and beefed up where we need
to."

[...]

Please Donate to the Ron Santo Walk to
Cure Diabetes with Ethan's Crew!