[ISN] Pressure builds on Obama to appoint cybersecurity coordinator

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 00:30:30 -0500 (CDT)
http://fcw.com/articles/2009/09/14/web-cyber-coordinator-urged.aspx

By Ben Bain
FCW.com
Sept 14, 2009

The co-chairmen of the House Cybersecurity Caucus are urging President
Barack Obama to quickly make good on his pledge to appoint a
cybersecurity coordinator.

Reps. James Langevin (D-R.I.) and Michael McCaul (R-Texas) said in a
recent letter to the president that they were pleased to see progress on
creating a comprehensive national security strategy for cyberspace.
However, they said they were .deeply concerned by the delay. in
coordinating the strategy from the White House.

On May 29, Obama said he would set up a new White House cybersecurity
office to be led by a coordinator whom he will select and depend on for
all matters relating to cybersecurity. In December, the influential
Center for Strategic and International Studies. Cybersecurity
Commission, of which Langevin and McCaul also serve as co-chairmen,
recommended creating a White House cybersecurity office.

The congressman said in their letter that it's time to establish the
office "with the proper authorities to manage the complex and critical
mission of securing our nation's networks."

"We strongly believe that the continued absence of a permanent
cybersecurity coordinator impedes the ability of federal agencies to
move forward in updating and strengthening their aging cyber policies,
while also complicating our efforts to collaborate with private
institutions that play such a critical role in keeping our nation safe,"
stated the letter, dated Sept. 10.

[...]

5B5B5B
Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org