[ISN] Computer network experts test security at conference

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 00:35:11 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20090915/NEWS01/909150313

By John S. Adams
Tribune Capitol Bureau
September 15, 2009

HELENA - Brad Smith, director of the Helena-based Computer Institute of
the Rockies, says there's a global war going on every day, though most
of us are completely unaware of it.

That's because it doesn't involve bullets or bombs or even uniformed
armies. But combatants from all corners of the globe are constantly on
the attack - a cyber attack that is - on the information systems of our
governments, military, corporations and private individuals.

"Computer security gets a D-minus in America," Smith said. "We really
don't get security in this country."

This week, dozens of computer network experts from across the country
representing a diverse array of interests, including the Montana
National Guard, the Idaho National Laboratory, the Federal Reserve and
the state Department of Labor and Industry to name a few, are taking
part in the Computer Institute of the Rockies' annual Cyber Information
Security conference.

"Most people are so nave about the level of danger on their networks,"
Smith said. "That's why we bring them here and teach them how to do the
attacks so they can learn to protect their networks from those attacks."

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org