[ISN] Safety first for IT executives in China

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 00:29:53 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.crn.com.au/News/155836,safety-first-for-it-executives-in-china.aspx

By Sholto Macpherson
CRN.com.au
Sept 16, 2009

Senior executives in US IT companies have been advised by the US
Government to follow extremely strict policies for visits to China which
extend far beyond standard software protection.

The policies encourage them to leave their standard IT equipment at home
and to buy separate gear only for use in China.

Mark Bregman, chief technology officer at security firm Symantec said he
left his MacBook Pro behind in the US and took his MacBook Air whenever
he flew to China. Bregman said he only ever used the Air in China and
re-imaged the machine every time he returned home.

However, he said he was "pretty relaxed" when it came to following the
security policies. "I don't let my IT department near my laptop," he
said.

"I was advised by people in three-letter agencies in the US Government
to weigh the machine before I left and when I got back," Bregman said.

"They also don't want me to take my phone. They said to buy a mobile
phone in the US and throw it away when you come back."

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org