[ISN] Cyber threat calls for flexibility in command model, general says

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 03:03:43 -0500 (CDT)
http://gcn.com/articles/2009/09/21/lord-emphasizes-joint-force-approach-to-battle.aspx

By Amber Corrin
GCN.com
Sept 21, 2009

Technology's dark side has created a new battlefield in cyberspace, and
that brings new considerations to the way military commands should be
structured, according to Lt. Gen. William Lord, chief of warfighting
integration and chief information officer of the Office of the Secretary
of the Air Force.

Lord, speaking today to a meeting of the AFCEA Northern Virginia
chapter, said the threat is already present. "e Air Force is heavily
engaged in cyber operations. We' been swimming in the cyber domain
waters for 25 years. We' operating in a hostile and contested domain,” "
he said.

To be successful in such a domain, the U.S. Cyber Command and any other
military force that deals with the cyber threat must develop a command
structure that can be flexible, Lord said. Although the structure should
be based on a traditional command model, it needs to incorporate some
non-traditional elements, he said. " need to operate without heavy
restrictions. There are enormous restrictions in the offensive domain.
The biggest problem isn'the enemy, the biggest problem is us."

Cyber superiority is required for operational freedom of action, he
said. "We have to understand that cyberspace can be shaped, but it
cannot be dominated - ecause we don’t'ow most of it. It’s a's a
commercial enterprise, not a military enterprise," he added.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org