[ISN] DoD Preparing To Lift USB Ban

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 00:53:04 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.darkreading.com/insiderthreat/security/storage/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=220100601

By Kelly Jackson Higgins
DarkReading
Sep 22, 2009

The ban on USB drives that began late last year in the U.S. Defense
Department will be lifted, but with a caveat: Only DoD-approved or
procured devices will be allowed.

Robert Cary, CIO for the U.S. Navy, in a recent blog post said Defense
officials are hashing out the final policy for allowing USBs back into
the department. The Commander of the U.S. Strategic Command in November
suspended the use of all USB flash and removable storage devices and
camera flash cards from all DoD networks after a worm infection spread
across some DoD networks.

"In the future, we expect that a government-owned and procured USB flash
media that is uniquely and electronically identifiable for use in
support of mission-essential functions on DoD networks will be permitted
for use by authorized individuals," Cary said in his blog. "The bottom
line is, the days of using personally owned flash media or using flash
media collected at conferences or trade shows are long gone. What we
connect to our home PCs is very different from what is and will be
allowed to occur on DON [Department of Navy] networks."

The Navy is also reducing its reliance on USB flash media, Cary said.
"...we are working on moving our access to information to the use of
collaborative workspaces, file shares and portals within our protected
enclaves. This will reduce our reliance on USB flash media, mitigate
unnecessary risk to the GIG, and protect our data and information by
keeping it stored within our network boundaries," he said.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org