[ISN] New IT Security Authority to safeguard Singapore against cyber threats

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 03:06:43 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1008285/1/.html

By S Ramesh
Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: Singapore is taking steps to harden its national IT
infrastructure against cyber-terrorism and cyber-espionage.

A new unit called the Singapore Infocomm Technology Security Authority
or SITSA will be set up from October 1 to oversee efforts to safeguard
the nation against infocomm technology security threats.

SITSA will be a division within the Internal Security Department (ISD)
and be headed by Mr Ng Hoo Ming. This is the first time ISD is revealing
the name of its officer.

It is a volatile landscape out there for the IT industry. Industry
figures show nearly 12 million computers were hacked by cyber criminals
last year and close to 23,500 new infected web pages are discovered
daily.

Michelle Dennedy, chief governance office, Sun Microsystems Inc, said:
"The same distributive computing which facilitates commerce can also
damage it. There are different types of attacks and attackers.

"It is easier than ever to be an anonymous person trying to cause havoc.
At the same time we need to be strategic in planning what are our
vulnerabilities"

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org