Re: [ISN] Citing cybercrime, FBI director doesn't bank online

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 04:22:12 -0500 (CDT)
Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho (at) attrition.org>

: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/100709-citing-cybercrime-fbi-director-doesnt.html
:
: By Robert McMillan
: IDG News Service
: 10/07/2009
:
: The head of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation has stopped banking
: online after nearly falling for a phishing attempt.
:
: FBI Director Robert Mueller said he recently came "just a few clicks
: away from falling into a classic Internet phishing scam" after receiving
: an e-mail that appeared to be from his bank.
:
: "It looked pretty legitimate," Mueller said Wednesday in a speech at San
: Francisco's Commonwealth Club. "They had mimicked the e-mails that the
: bank would ordinarily send out to its customers; they'd mimicked them
: very well."

I cannot begin to fathom the world we live in, where the person in
charge of domestic security and fighting terrorism on US soil, is
tricked by the laughable mails from scammers pretending to be our banks.
Did he delete the mails from the 18 other banks he doesn't use, before
almost clicking on the links from the 19th?

Perhaps that is why DHS is looking for 1,000 cyber security experts, to
filter mail going to our top security directors.

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org