[ISN] Classified Info on Dangerous Chemicals Hacked

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 02:18:21 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/10/113_53708.html

The Korea Times
10-17-2009

Hackers stole classified information on dangerous chemicals in their
raid on the South Korean army computer network in what was believed to
be an attack by North Korea, Yonhap News Agency reported Saturday,
quoting government officials.

The Chemicals Accident Response Information System, used by 589 South
Korean government agencies including fire and police stations, was
accessed by hackers on March 5. Hackers appear to have broken into the
system using the ID of a South Korean army officer whose personal
computer was infected by a virus, according to officials.

"We believe the hacker tapped into the system using the ID, withdrawing
classified information of 1,350 dangerous chemicals," an army official
was quoted as saying by Yonhap. "The government believes North Korea
could be behind the hacking. We are continuing our investigation."

The revelation comes less than three months after cyber attacks severely
slowed or disrupted dozens of South Korean government and business Web
sites, including those of the presidential office and ministries of
defense and foreign affairs. Rumors were rampant then that North Korean
hackers orchestrated the attacks, although they have yet to be
substantiated.

"We are trying to find out exactly how much information has been
withdrawn," another unnamed official at Seoul's Environment Ministry was
quoted as saying, adding the government has asked organizations dealing
with the chemicals to tighten security.

Unnamed intelligence sources in Seoul said in May that North Korea
operates a cyber warfare unit that seeks to disrupt South Korean and
U.S. military networks and visits U.S. military sites more frequently
than any other country.

South Korea and the U.S. signed a memorandum of understanding on April
30 to bolster cooperation in fighting cyber terrorism against their
defense networks.

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org