[ISN] Cyberwarfare Needs Damage Assessment Tools

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 02:15:21 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/CYBER102109.xml

By David A. Fulghum
Aviation Week
Oct 21, 2009

Although today's rudimentary non-kinetic weaponry can incapacitate a
surface-to-air missile, radar, or even a tank, cyberwarriors still lack
the tools necessary to determine right away if an attack has been
effective.

"There's no smoking hole," says a National Security Agency veteran. "It
still looks like it can kill me."

What's needed are major investments in technologies that "relate to how
we couple intelligence analysis on a near, real-time or run-time basis
in the battlespace," says John Osterholz, BAE Systems. vice president
for integrated cyberwarfare and cybersecurity.

"We're talking about very sophisticated intelligence analysis that
provides support to the operators in the time it takes to run data
through a computer," he said. "That's the operational art that needs to
be written, generalized and normalized. There are technologies, training
and doctrine associated with analysis of bomb damage assessment (BDA)
that needs to see more emphasis."

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org