[ISN] International cooperation to shape common policies for cybersecurity and data protection

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 00:11:18 -0600 (CST)
http://gcn.com/articles/2009/11/03/us-eu-cybersecurity-agreement.aspx

By William Jackson
GCN.com
Nov 03, 2009

The United States and the European Union have agreed to treat
cybersecurity, cyber crime and data protection as international issues,
cooperatively developing polices based on shared values.

Mary Ellen Callahan, chief privacy officer of the Homeland Security
Department, called the recent joint statement on these principles by
U.S. and E.U. officials a major milestone in data protection and data
sharing.

"The next step is negotiating a binding international E.U.-U.S.
agreement based on these common principles to facilitate further
cooperation while ensuring the availability of full protection for our
citizens," she said.

The pledge is intended to extend ongoing efforts to align U.S. and E.U.
policies on transatlantic issues, as Europe updates its human rights
policies in the Stockholm Programme, expected to be completed this year.

"We would like to take this opportunity to renew our partnership for the
next five years," the statement said.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org