[ISN] Personal info jeopardized after Workers' Comp Court computer hacked

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:45:12 -0600 (CST)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:02:12 -0600 (CST)
From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
To: submissions_at_private
Subject: Personal info jeopardized after Workers' Comp Court computer hacked

http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_b9a02f46-d3a9-11de-85e5-001cc4c002e0.html

By Catharine Huddle
Lincoln Journal Star
November 17, 2009

The Nebraska State Patrol and FBI are trying to figure out who hacked
into a Nebraska Workers' Compensation Court computer server -- and
whether the hacker took personal information.

The state agency learned last week someone had broken into a server that
temporarily held injury reports, said Glenn Morton, court administrator
for the Workers' Compensation Court.

Personal information, including birth dates and Social Security numbers,
would have been in the server, he said.

Whenever a worker has a job-related injury, a report is filed with the
Workers' Compensation Court and the information temporarily stored on
that server, Morton said.

"Because of the way that server was set up, we can identify which
records were on that server on the dates in question," he said. "We
don't know how many. Probably a few thousand. Certainly less than
5,000."

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org