[ISN] Hackers steal electronic data from top climate research center

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:41:24 -0600 (CST)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/20/AR2009112004093.html

By Juliet Eilperin
Washington Post Staff Writer
November 21, 2009

Hackers broke into the electronic files of one of the world's foremost
climate research centers this week and posted an array of e-mails in
which prominent scientists engaged in a blunt discussion of global
warming research and disparaged climate-change skeptics.

The skeptics have seized upon e-mails stolen from the Climatic Research
Unit of the University of East Anglia in Britain as evidence that
scientific data have been rigged to make it appear as if humans are
causing global warming. The researchers, however, say the e-mails have
been taken out of context and merely reflect an honest exchange of
ideas.

University officials confirmed the data breach, which involves more than
1,000 e-mails and 3,000 documents, but said they could not say how many
of the stolen items were authentic.

"We are aware that information from a server in one area of the
university has been made available on public websites," the statement
says. "We are extremely concerned that personal information about
individuals may have been compromised. Because of the volume of this
information we cannot currently confirm what proportion of this material
is genuine."

Michael E. Mann, who directs the Earth System Science Center at
Pennsylvania State University, said in a telephone interview from Paris
that skeptics are "taking these words totally out of context to make
something trivial appear nefarious."

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org