[ISN] NIST Drafts Cybersecurity Guidance

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:03:18 -0600 (CST)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=221900722

By J. Nicholas Hoover
InformationWeek
November 23, 2009

Draft guidance from the National Institute of Standards and Technology
issued last week, pushes government agencies to adopt a comprehensive,
continuous approach to cybersecurity, tackling criticism that federal
cybersecurity regulations have placed too much weight on periodic
compliance audits.

The guidance, encapsulated in a draft revision to NIST Special
Publication 800-37, will likely be finalized early next year. While
federal agencies aren't required to follow all of its recommendations,
NIST is officially charged with creating standards for compliance with
the Federal Information Systems Management Act, (FISMA), which sets
cybersecurity requirements in government, so this guidance should at the
very least be influential.

As official statistics show attacks on the federal government continuing
to rise, the Government Accountability Office and agency inspector
generals have repeatedly found the federal government or particular
agencies falling short of the spirit of FISMA, if not its letter.
Meanwhile, critics have repeatedly found fault with either FISMA or its
implementation in practice, saying that it doesn't do enough to ensure
that government agencies remain consistently vigilant about
cybersecurity.

The new document puts more onus on applying risk management throughout
the lifecycle of IT systems. "This is part of a larger strategy to try
to do more on the front end of security as opposed to just on the back
end," says NIST's Ron Ross, who is in charge of FISMA guidance at the
agency. "We don't think of security as a separate undertaking, but as a
consideration we make in our normal lifecycle processes."

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org