[ISN] The nation needs a clear cyber war doctrine

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 03:10:47 -0600 (CST)
http://gcn.com/articles/2009/11/30/cybereye-cyberwar-doctrine.aspx

By William Jackson
GCN.com
Nov 30, 2009

A recent study from McAfee on cyber crime and cyber warfare concluded
that, like it or not, the world.s information infrastructures are
becoming theaters of war, as nations develop offensive and defensive
capabilities to wage cyber warfare.

"Cyber weapons exist, and we should expect that adversaries might use
them," said James Lewis, director of the Technology and Public Policy
program at the Center for Strategic and International studies. Lewis is
one of 2,000 national and cybersecurity experts who were interviewed for
the study.

The threat of cyber war is not comforting, but more disturbing is the
fact that we do not know how to use the weapons we are developing. Our
ability to defend ourselves and to take the struggle to our enemies is
hindered by the difficulty in understanding the sources and motives
behind what might be considered hostile action against our networks and
systems. Unlike attacks by conventional and nuclear military weapons,
cyber attacks tend to be asymmetrical, remote and hidden. It is
difficult to tell who is behind an attack and what its objective is.

It is easy to blame North Korea or China for intrusions that seem to be
launched from computers in those countries, but the location of a
computer or network launching an attack says little about who is behind
it.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org