[ISN] Wanted: A Smokey Bear for cybersecurity

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 00:43:00 -0600 (CST)
http://fcw.com/articles/2009/12/02/smoky-bear-cybersecurity.aspx

By Amber Corrin
FCW.com
Dec 02, 2009

Cybersecurity has become more than a homeland security issue; it has
become a national lifestyle issue that hinges on raising education at
the individual level, a panel of information security experts said
today.

"If the U.S. is going to continue to be a center of innovation in the
world, we need to up our game. and get on par with the science,
engineering and technology schooling of China and India, according to
Richard Schaffer, information assurance director at the National
Security Agency.

"It's a U.S. problem; it.s a challenge that, [if left] unmet, is going
to put us in a dangerous situation in 10 or 20 years when we can't
afford to be in second place. We never want to be in second place,"
Schaffer added.

Beyond formal education, U.S. cybersecurity strategy needs to develop a
public awareness campaign that permeates the workplace, schools and
homes -- much like the development of Smokey Bear in the 1970s to
promote fire safety, panelists said.

"This [campaign] needs to include secretaries, administrators,
front-line people who have no idea [about technology and cyberspace] -
not just front line cyber operators," said Adam Meyers, an SRA
International information assurance principal who currently works with
the State Department.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org