[ISN] FBI's Chicago RCFL Receives Prestigious Accreditation

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 04:08:19 -0600 (CST)
http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel09/chicago_rcfl120309.htm

Press Release
For Immediate Release
December 3, 2009

Washington D.C.
FBI National Press Office
(202) 324-3691

FBI's Chicago RCFL Receives Prestigious Accreditation

The American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors/Laboratory
Accreditation Board (ASCLD/LAB) recently accredited the Chicago Regional
Computer Forensics Laboratory (RCFL) in digital and multimedia evidence.
According to ASCLD/LAB, 51 laboratories in the nation are currently
accredited in this discipline. With the Chicago RCFL's accomplishment,
12 out of 14 operational RCFLs have earned accreditation from ASCLD/LAB.
Additionally, the North Texas RCFL recently earned the organization's
international accreditation.

The Chicago RCFL opened in 2003 and is part of the FBI.s RCFL Program, a
national network of 16 digital forensics laboratories and training
centers devoted entirely to the scientific examination of digital
evidence in support of criminal investigations. The Chicago RCFL is
managed by a coalition of federal, state, and local law enforcement
organizations, including the FBI through its Chicago Division and FBI
Headquarters; Chicago Police Department; Cook County Sheriff's Office;
Joliet Police Department; Lombard Police Department; Palatine Police
Department; and the University of Illinois at Chicago Police Department.
RCFL personnel are FBI-certified as computer forensics examiners and
must strictly adhere to standardized operating procedures and
institutionalized peer review measures to provide consistent, accurate,
repeatable, and verifiable results.

The RCFL Program, which is funded and administered by the FBI, supports
the Bureau's criminal investigative and intelligence-gathering efforts
by supplying a wide range of sophisticated technological equipment,
examination tools and capabilities, training, and specialized
experience.

FBI Assistant Director Marcus C. Thomas said: "Earning accreditation
from a respected organization such as ASCLD/LAB demonstrates the
Bureau's commitment to providing exceptional digital forensics services.
With the Chicago RCFL's accomplishment, we have proven -yet again- how
serious we take this work. Increasingly, digital evidence is playing a
pivotal role in criminal investigations, and we are doing our part to
provide high quality services to strengthen our criminal justice
system."

According to ASCLD/LAB's website, accreditation is part of a
laboratory's quality assurance program, which should also include
proficiency testing, continuing education, customer liaison, and other
programs to help the laboratory provide more effective overall service.
The accreditation process is an intensive assessment which evaluates the
qualifications of all laboratory personnel; the laboratory's operational
and technical policies, practices, and procedures; and the laboratory's
quality management system.

For more information about the RCFL Program, visit www.rcfl.gov

*****Sign up for FBI e-mail alerts at www.fbi.gov by clicking on the red envelopes.*****
Follow the FBI on Twitter @ FBIPressOffice

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org