[ISN] Q&A: Eugene Spafford on Cybercrime, Security Research

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 02:08:08 -0600 (CST)
http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/qa-eugene-spafford-121409

By Dennis Fisher
Threat Post
December 14, 2009

Threatpost editor Dennis Fisher talks with Eugene Spafford of Purdue's
CERIAS center about cybercrime, funding for long-term security research
projects and whether the federal cybersecurity coordinator position
matters.

Fisher: Do you see any indications that there will be more funding
coming from the federal government for longer term research projects in
the near future?

Spafford: Not really. There are provisions for more research money in
some draft legislation that's in Congress right now, but they are
authorizations, not appropriations. And that's a big distinction. There
are a lot of other priorities right now, obviously. We have two wars
going on. I don't have high hopes of there being an influx of new money.

Fisher: You wrote a blog post a couple of months ago about the lack of
leadership on cybersecurity in the federal government. At some point
Obama will appoint the cyber coordinator. But will that even matter?

Spafford: I don't see how. It's a position that's going to report up to
the economic council and the security council. It won't have any
statutory authority. It won't have any budgetary authority. That does
not give it much authority of any kind. The problem is that there are
organizations in the government that have some part of the problem
space, like DHS, Defense, the NSA. They have good people on it and
they're making headway. But the structure of the government response
misses portions of the problem. It isn't a coordinated effort and
there's no awareness of the magnitude of the problem. There's certainly
a recognition in the military that there needs to be a better response,
and that's what we're seeing in the establishment of the cyber
sub-command. That could be good. But a lot of it will depend on the
managing authority. But it does show progress. The downside is that the
military views the protection of military assets as their job and the
protection of other assets is someone else's job. They're not going to
protect the banks and the utilities and the telcos and the power grid
and everything else. So whose job is it? Where's the coordination and
overall picture of how this works? So when I hear that there are
supposedly people who have been interviewed for this cyber coordinator
job and didn't take it, I'm not surprised. It's not a winning position.
I'm not at all surprised by the fact that it's empty. That position is a
blame-taking position.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org