[ISN] IDF bolstering computer defenses

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 06:11:01 -0600 (CST)
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1260930892360&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

By YAAKOV KATZ
The Jerusalem Post
Dec 18, 2009

In the face of a growing cyber warfare threat, the IDF is beefing up its
defenses against enemy hackers.

The IDF operates a number of units - in Military Intelligence and the
IDF's Computer Services Directorate - which are jointly responsible for
defending the IDF as well as other intelligence agencies' networks from
foreign infiltration.

"The threat is always growing and we always need to be one step ahead,"
a senior IDF officer said Wednesday. "There are attempts all the time to
try and hack into our networks, and we are aware of our enemies'
capabilities."

On Tuesday, head of Military Intelligence Maj.-Gen. Amos Yadlin warned
of the growing cyber warfare threat against Israel and around the world.
He cited as an example the war in Georgia in 2008, during which Russia
was suspected of bringing down Georgian infrastructure by hacking into
the country's computer mainframes. Yadlin also mentioned Estonia which
came under cyber attack in 2007, allegedly also by the Kremlin.

The unit responsible for protecting the IDF networks is called Matzov, a
Hebrew acronym for "Center for Encryption and Information Security," and
operates under the C4I Corps. It is responsible for writing the codes
that encrypt IDF, Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) and Mossad networks
as well as mainframes in national corporations, such as the Israel
Electrical Corp., Mekorot, the national water company and Bezeq.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org