[ISN] IEEE creates Web portal on smart grids

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 00:50:05 -0600 (CST)
http://www.eetimes.com/news/design/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222301321
By Rick Merritt
EE Times
01/19/2010

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The IEEE has launched a new Web site that
consolidates information about smart electric grids from it various
societies. The portal is one of many activities from an IEEE smart grid
initiative coordinating the organization's work on the transition to
digital, networked power systems and services.

The smart grid is "so interdisciplinary," said Wanda Reder, chair of the
IEEE Smart Grid Task Force and former president of the IEEE Power &
Energy Society. "We have the gamut covered in technical interests, but
we needed a way to facilitate communications between our many entities
to link information on all the conferences, papers and standards we have
in this area," she added.

The Web site lists many of the estimated 100 existing IEEE standards
related to smart grids. It also includes pointers to the IEEE 2030 group
started last year that aims to release a draft guide to smart grid
design in early 2011.

The 2030 group will conduct its next meeting January 26-29 in Detroit,
working with the SAE J2293 Task Force working on issues around electric
vehicles.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org