[ISN] U.S. Navy Launches Cyber Command

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 03:24:08 -0600 (CST)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222600639

By Elizabeth Montalbano
InformationWeek
February 1, 2010

The U.S. Navy has followed the Air Force and the Marine Corps in setting
up a command center dedicated to overseeing and protecting its presence
in cyber space.

The U.S. Fleet Cyber Command is aimed at defending the Navy's IT systems
against cyber attack and to use information systems and the Web to
achieve military objectives, according to the Navy.

Vice Admiral Bernard J. McCullough III is in charge of the new command,
which also will organize and direct the Navy's cryptologic operations
worldwide. "To execute our defined mission we must be able to exercise
command and control over our networks with dynamic, real time defense
and information assurance enabled by intelligence collection,"
McCullough said in a statement.

To work in tandem with the U.S. Fleet Cyber Command, the Navy has
recommissioned its 10th Fleet, of which McCullough also is in charge.
Both are headquartered at Fort George G. Meade in Maryland, which also
has Naval Network Warfare Command infrastructure and personnel in place.
Maryland officials are positioning their state as a cybersecurity
"epicenter" in the United States.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org