[ISN] PACAF stands up Information Protection Directorate

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 00:49:29 -0600 (CST)
http://www.pacaf.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123188985

Pacific Air Forces Public Affairs
2/3/2010

JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR HICKAM, Hawaii -- As the cyberspace battlefield
broadens, Pacific Air Forces leadership created the Directorate of
Information Protection to effectively protect information across the
enterprise.

The structure is mirrored at each wing across the area of
responsibility.

The organization goal is to provide an enterprise-wide approach to
prevent compromises, loss, unauthorized access, disclosure, destruction,
distortion or non-accessibility of information over the life cycle of
information and ensure commanders have effective processes and the right
people in place to provide a focused, seamless, functional and
supportive environment for protecting information at all levels to
conduct effective air, space and cyberspace operations.

Information protection refers to the collective policies, processes and
use of risk management and mitigation actions instituted to prevent the
compromise, loss or unauthorized access of information over its life
cycle, regardless of physical form or characteristics.

Information protection encompass multiple disciplines and programs, such
as Information security, Personnel Security, Industrial Security,
Physical Security, Security Education Training,
Classification/Declassification management, Original Classification
Authority training, Operation Security, Communication Security,
Sensitive Compartmental Information, Special Programs, Technical
Communication, Foreign Disclosure, Public Release, and Restricted Data.
These processes are executed through a collaborative established
Security Advisor Groups at each installation.

"We want to change the culture of our personnel and make information
protection methodologies routine and transparent to our business
processes to correctly protect vital information on behalf of our
warfighter," said Johnny Bland, PACAF/IP director. "Our goal is not only
to protect sensitive information, controlled unclassified information
and classified information, but to ensure every PACAF personnel
understand the importance of protecting information. Information
protection affects every PACAF active-duty member, Reservist, Guardsman,
civil servant and contract employee, regardless of rank or position. We
all have information protection responsibilities."

Senior leaders all agree that when Information protection staffs are
fully mature, they will serve as a single entity to develop and execute
policies and procedures to safeguard all levels and types of information
using an enterprise-wide approach.

For more information, call DSN 449-2801/2802/2804.

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org