[ISN] Biggest hacker training site shut down

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 00:31:20 -0600 (CST)
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-02/08/content_9440667.htm

By Wu Yiyao
China Daily
2010-02-08

What is believed to be the country's biggest hacker training site has
been shut down by police in Central China's Hubei province.

Three people were also arrested, local media reported yesterday.

The three, who ran Black Hawk Safety Net, are suspected of offering
others online attacking programs and software, a crime recently added to
the Criminal Law. A total of 1.7 million yuan ($249,000) in assets were
also frozen.

According to the provincial public security department of Hubei, the
closure of the website had its roots in a previous Web attack and virus
dissemination case in the city of Macheng in 2007, when police found
some of the suspects caught were members of Black Hawk Safety Net.

Hubei province named Black Hawk Safety Net as the largest hacker
training site in China, which openly recruited members and disseminated
hacker techniques through lessons, trojan software and online forum
communications.

Since it was established in 2005, the site had recruited more than
12,000 VIP members and collected more than 7 million yuan in membership
fees. More than 170,000 people registered for free membership.

Police said more than 50 officers had been investigating the case.

They seized nine Web servers, five computers and one car, and shut down
all the sites involved in the case, according to the provincial public
security department.

"I could download trojan programs from the site which allowed me to
control other people's computers. I did this just for fun but I also
know that many other members could make a fortune by attacking other
people's accounts," said a 23-year-old member of Black Hawk Safety Net
in Nanjing of East China's Jiangsu province, who asked to remain
anonymous.

"It is not very difficult to do simple hacker tasks. Some hacker members
are teenagers who dropped out of school and make money by stealing
accounts," he said.

A 20-year-old college student who registered with three different hacker
training sites said a hacker training course costs from 100 to 2,000
yuan.

"Basically students were told how to steal accounts and use trojan
programs. Sometimes trainers show us how to write programs," he said.

"But now it's very difficult to become a registered member. Some
well-known hacker training sites have not been accessible since
November," he said.

According to a report released by the National Computer Network
Emergency Response Coordination Center of China, the hacker industry in
China caused losses of 7.6 billion yuan in 2009.

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org