[ISN] ShmooCon | Your iPhone's Dirty Little Security Secret

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 00:23:13 -0600 (CST)
http://www.csoonline.com/article/533163/ShmooCon_Your_iPhone_s_Dirty_Little_Security_Secret

By Bill Brenner
Senior Editor
CSO
February 06, 2010

WASHINGTON D.C. -- We've heard much about how our PCs and laptops can be
compromised through malware and insecure wireless access points and
often comfort ourselves with the knowledge that our smart phones are
safe from such things.

But the smarter these phones become, the more susceptible they become to
those same dangers, and more. That was the warning at ShmooCon 2010 this
morning from Trevor Hawthorn, founder and managing principal at Stratum
Security.

"The old smart phone wisdom in terms of security best practices was that
you simply needed to wipe the devices of all your data before selling
them on eBay," he said. "Today, you can use them to access the company
VPN and Outlook, so the dangers are much more in line with those of PCs
and laptops."

Hawthorn discussed security holes (since fixed) found in AT&T's network,
which Apple's iPhone uses, and how an epidemic of "jailbreaking" is
disabling critical security controls on the device.

[...]

Did a friend send you this? From now on, be the
first to find out! Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org