[ISN] N.Y. Firm Faces Bankruptcy from $164,000 E-Banking Loss

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 01:46:22 -0600 (CST)
http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/02/n-y-firm-faces-bankruptcy-from-164000-e-banking-loss/

By Brian Krebs
Krebs on Security
February 24th, 2010

A New York marketing firm that as recently as two weeks ago was
preparing to be acquired now is facing bankruptcy from a computer virus
infection that cost the company more than $164,000.

Karen McCarthy, owner of Merrick, N.Y. based Little & King LLC, a small
promotions company, discovered on Monday, Feb. 15 that her firm's bank
account had been emptied the previous Friday. McCarthy said she
immediately called her bank - Cherry Hill, N.J. based TD Bank - and
learned that between Feb. 10 and Feb. 12, unknown thieves had made five
wire transfers out of the account to two individuals and two companies
with whom the McCarthys had never had any prior business.

"She was told to go to the branch next day, and she did, and the people
at the branch were very nice, apologetic, and said, "Whatever happened,
we'll replace it,." Karen McCarthy's husband Craig said. "She called
them up on Wednesday, and they gave her the runaround. Then she finally
got to talk to someone and they said "We don't see the error on our
side.."

Immediately before the fraud occurred, Mrs. McCarthy found that her
Windows PC would no longer boot, and that the computer complained it
could not find vital operating system files. "She was using it one day
and then this blue screen of death just came on her screen," said a
longtime friend who was helping McCarthy triage her computer.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/