[ISN] N. Korea develops own OS

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 00:17:36 -0600 (CST)
http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2010/03/04/201003040036.asp

By Kim So-hyun
The Korea Herald
2010.03.04

North Korea's self-developed software operating system named the "Red
Star" was brought to light for the first time by a Russian satellite
broadcaster yesterday.

North Korea's top IT experts began developing the Red Star in 2006, but
its composition and operation mechanisms were unknown until the internet
version of the Russia Today-TV featured the system, citing the blog of a
Russian student who goes to the Kim Il-sung University in Pyongyang.

The Red Star is based on Linux, a free and open software operating
system, but looks a lot like the Microsoft Windows on display. It also
has a similar user interface.

The desktop display of Red Star is almost identical to that of MS
Windows.

A Red Star logo is shown on the lower left corner of the screen where MS
Windows has a start button. It has most of the basic MS Windows icons
such as a Trash Bin and My Computer. Only, the names of the icons are
slightly different from the Korean version of MS Windows.

Application programs such as a Web browser and a word processor which
also resemble MS products come in separate discs.

The Russian student paid about $5 worth of North Korean currency for the
Red Star and $10 for an application program disc, according to RT-TV.

The Web browser named "My Country" allows internet surfing only through
the search engine called "My Country BBS," reflecting the North's closed
online network that runs separately from the worldwide Web.

The North Korean equivalent of the MS Office "Woori" features
compositions, user interface and colors that are similar to those of MS
Word and Powerpoint.

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/