[ISN] White House Cyber Czar: 'There Is No Cyberwar'

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 02:45:00 -0600 (CST)
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/schmidt-cyberwar/

By Ryan Singel
Threat Level
Wired.com
March 4, 2010

Howard Schmidt, the new cybersecurity czar for the Obama administration,
has a short answer for the drumbeat of rhetoric claiming the United
States is caught up in a cyberwar that it is losing.

"There is no cyberwar," Schmidt told Wired.com in a sit-down interview
Wednesday at the RSA Security Conference in San Francisco.

"I think that is a terrible metaphor and I think that is a terrible
concept," Schmidt said. "There are no winners in that environment."

Instead, Schmidt said the government needs to focus its cybersecurity
efforts to fight online crime and espionage.

His stance contradicts Michael McConnell, the former director of
national intelligence who made headlines last week when he testified to
Congress that the country was already in the midst of a cyberwar -- and
was losing it.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/