[ISN] Ford Motor Rolls Out New Security Features To Prevent Car-Hacking

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:50:08 -0600 (CST)
http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability_management/security/client/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=223200163

By Kelly Jackson Higgins
DarkReading
March 08, 2010

Automobile giant Ford Motor this year will debut vehicles with built-in
WiFi -- along with enhanced security features to prevent data breaches
via its new cars.

Ford has offered the so-called Sync technology service it co-developed
with Microsoft in most of its Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles since
2008. The technology lets drivers run their Bluetooth-enabled mobile
phones and digital media players via their vehicles and use voice
commands to operate them, for instance.

The automaker announced today that the second generation of its Sync
technology -- due out later this year and to include a full Windows CE
operating system with a new driver interface called MyFordTouch -- will
come with a built-in browser and secured WiFi access. It will first
debut in the 2011 Ford Edge and 2011 MKX Lincoln, and later, in the 2010
Ford Focus.

"We really began to focus on the security side when we began launching
Sync, and it was [originally] for working with phones and media
players," says Jim Buczkowski, director of Ford electronics and
electrical systems engineering. "Now we're extending that system
connectivity to include WiFi as another data path for customers in their
vehicles ... and we're extending that security model for protecting
WiFi."

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/