[ISN] WhitePages.com halts ad networks over malware

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:20:57 -0600 (CST)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10466753-245.html

By Elinor Mills
InSecurity Complex
CNet News
March 10, 2010

WhitePages.com has stopped ad networks from delivering ads to its site
after they were found to contain fake antivirus malware.

"On Monday morning WhitePages received reports from users [about]
malware in the form of a fake antivirus upsell program that we believe
originated (against our terms) from a third-party advertising network
serving ads on our website, in addition to other websites," a WhitePages
spokeswoman said in an e-mail late Tuesday.

"We immediately suspended the networks in question at which time the
reports from users subsided," she wrote. "We are working diligently to
prevent this from happening in the future."

A representative for the Senate's Committee on Environment and Public
Works said on Tuesday that officials were looking at WhitePages.com and
Drudge Report as possible sources of malware that had affected Senate
computers the day before.

Matt Drudge denied the accusation on his site and accused the committee
of politicking. But several CNET readers reported that they too had been
hit with the malware when they visited the Drudge Report Web site, a
conservative news aggregator that sometimes authors stories too.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/