[ISN] Pennsylvania's Web security officer leaves post a week after talking about PennDOT hacking incident

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:21:44 -0600 (CST)
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/03/pennsylvanias_web_security_off.html

By JAN MURPHY
The Patriot-News
March 10, 2010

Last week, Pennsylvania's chief information security officer Robert
Maley was at an information security conference in San Francisco talking
about a hacking incident involving PennDOT's computers. This week, Maley
is gone.

Gary Tuma, Gov. Ed Rendell's press secretary, confirmed that Maley is no
longer employed by the state, but he declined to comment further, saying
it is a personnel matter.

Attempts to contact Maley yesterday were unsuccessful.

Danielle Klinger, a spokeswoman for the state Department of
Transportation, said the agency is not aware of any hacking or breach
that occurred involving scheduling system for its driving test. However,
she said that a few weeks ago, "we did discover an anomaly and we have
actually turned that over to [the state police] for further
investigation. We're not sure what that anomaly is, but it is being
investigated. Unfortunately, I can't provide any more details on it."

Maley is listed on LinkedIn, an online networking site, as having worked
as a former Swatara Twp. police sergeant before entering the information
security field more than 24 years ago. It states he worked in
information technology for the state in a variety of capacities as well
as in the private and nonprofit sectors.

On the agenda for the RSA Conference at which Maley appeared as a
presenter last week, he was listed as a top-rated speaker and described
as "one of the most high-profile experts in the field of securing the
data of American citizens today."

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/