[ISN] To Battle Computer Hackers, the Pentagon Trains Its Own

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:14:55 -0600 (CST)
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1972896,00.html

By Mark Thompson
Washington
Time
March 18, 2010

After years of building firewalls and other defenses against relentless
hacker attacks, the Pentagon is going over to the dark side of computer
warfare. But ethically, of course. The Defense Department, like most
other large organizations, has recognized that no wall is high enough to
keep out skilled and determined hackers for keeps. Instead, it has
decided that in order to anticipate and thwart attacks, it needs to know
what the hackers know.

"More than 100 foreign intelligence organizations are trying to hack
into U.S. systems," Deputy Defense Secretary William Lynn warned last
month. "Some governments already have the capacity to disrupt elements
of the U.S. information infrastructure." So the Pentagon recently
modified its regulations to allow military computer experts to be
trained in computer hacking, gaining the designation "certified ethical
hackers." They'll join more than 20,000 other such good-guy hackers
around the world who have earned that recognition since 2003 from the
private International Council of E-Commerce Consultants (also known as
the EC-Council).

"We are creating cyber-bodyguards," says Sanjay Bavisi, president of the
council. "We're not creating combat people." But as the world becomes
increasingly interconnected via the Internet, the stakes have become too
high to rely on static defenses alone to protect the immense flows of
vital information that operate the world's financial, medical,
governmental and infrastructure systems. "The bad guys already have the
hacking technologies," Bavisi says. "We can say, 'Tough luck. The bad
guys play by different rules, and you can't do anything about it, so
just go lock your doors.' Or we can tell the good guys, 'We will arm you
with the same knowledge as the bad guys, because to defeat the hacker
you need to be able to think like one.'"

Bavisi and the Pentagon are sensitive to the possibility that the
tactics taught could be used for other purposes. "We're not training
Department of Defense guys to become hackers and start hacking into
China or any other countries," he says. Weeklong courses will train them
in 150 hacking techniques and technologies, ranging from viruses, worms,
sniffers and phishing to cyberwarfare. The cost of the course ranges
from $450 to $2,500, depending on the training involved.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/